Thursday, April 29, 2010

Whirlwind

These past few days and nights have literally been a blur.  As evidence to this, it's only 7:52 p.m. and my head is bobbing as I write.  Track is on my mind and I just wanted to share a few highlights of the week.

Tuesday night the girls ran at Hudson against some BIG schools.  The race of the night for me was definitely the 1500 with my 8th grader who is quite literally a string bean.  We had a little pre-meet talk about really getting after it tonight since it was her only race, and she took that to heart.  She was looking so good until she had 300 meters left and she came around clenching her side.  I just screamed, "Work through it!  You've got a great time going!" and prayed she would finish.  With 100 meters to go, a girl tried to pass her and somehow my runner found another speed and cruised to a 2nd place finish in 5:42!!  A major PR!  Later that night my "stud" as I refer to her ran a 2:44 in the open 800; she's such a smooth runner and it hurts me to think about all the pain she is in with her muscles around her knee.  I don't know how she manages to pull out PRs every race but I'm fine if she continues down that path.

Tonight was our own Husky Invite.  I was a bit worried about how the girls would respond with only 1 day of recovery, but they rose to the occasion.  To start things off, one of my 8th grade high jumpers decided that she would improve by 6 inches and jump 4'6"!  And the best part was, I was right there running the event to watch!  The next impressive feat was my 4 x 800 relay team cruising to a win and setting a meet record in probably 20 some mile per hour winds!  As the night went on things just kept getting better and better; well, besides hand-offs that is.  After it was announced we had one the meet the team took a victory lap - took me right back to my days of high school track.  I can't wait until our conference meet on the 17th - I really believe we are going to do some special things that day.

Also on my mind is my extreme enthusiasm as I coach.  It didn't take N-P long to realize I really really get into races.  Back in cross country I believe some parents probably thought I was crazy tearing off around the course screaming and yelling my head off; I know the kids did at least.  Tonight was fairly typical - getting way too into a middle school meet and screaming and running around.  I was told, well, more like reminded, after the meet that coaches are not allowed within the infield.  I know the comment was solely directed to save me from any trouble elsewhere but that's not what bothers me.  I hate doing something wrong especially when I'm trying so hard to get something good started.  I know where this program has been, and I just want the girls to love track and appreciate the sport.  Tonight I have this horrible sinking feeling in my stomach that I can't shake; I want to be taken seriously but I know sometimes my eagerness might be interpreted as laughable.  It's just so difficult for me to sit back and observe everything from behind a fence.  It's like watching a basketball or a volleyball game from behind closed gym doors.  I feel trapped and hate being outside of all the action, but there's nothing I can do about it.  In these next few days I know I'll have people comment on my actions, and that bothers me even more.  I guess all I can really do is put the situation in the past and correct it on future occasions.  It's going to be a challenge, but it will be beneficial for me to become more credible as a coach... and less of an athlete.

No comments: